Wednesday, September 23, 2026

The Scarcity of Anti-War News and Perspective

The unpopularity of war is exactly why the government doesn't want you to hear about it.
Recently, I spent time reading The American Conservative and Antiwar.com, two publications that consistently feature writers questioning war, military intervention, and the assumptions behind American foreign policy. What immediately stood out to me was not just their perspective, but how difficult these viewpoints seem to be to find in mainstream media coverage.

U.S.S. Lincoln Overseas
I was also surprised by how current many of the stories were. Both sites featured fresh reporting and commentary on events in places like Iran, Yemen, Gaza, and Ukraine, often updated the same day. As I read through the articles, I found myself wondering why some of these topics and perspectives seemed largely absent from the news sources I encounter every day. 

Before finding these websites, I had never heard of them. That realization raised an obvious question: Why do people have to actively seek out relatively obscure publications to hear strong antiwar arguments?

Venezuela's President Maduro seized
My personal belief is that one reason may be political. Historically, antiwar movements have often challenged the decisions of administrations in power, whether Republican or Democrat. When military interventions go badly, antiwar critics are usually among the first to ask difficult questions about costs, casualties, mistakes, and accountability. Those questions can make leaders look ineffective or irresponsible. Because of that, there may be less incentive among political and media institutions to amplify voices that consistently challenge the rationale for war.

Of course, I cannot prove that this amounts to organized censorship. Many factors shape media coverage, including audience preferences, editorial judgment, and commercial pressures. But after reading these sites, I am left wondering whether antiwar perspectives receive less attention because they are inconvenient to powerful interests.

Regardless of whether readers agree with the arguments, I believe these voices deserve a place in the national conversation. The fact that so many people have never heard of these publications may be the strongest evidence that something is missing from our public debate.

AI Disclosure: This post was made in conjunction with Copilot AI. I visited The American Conservative and Antiwar.com online and took notes on the information on the websites. The notes included the types of stories and coverage, as well as my own personal reactions and conclusions from the information. I then asked Copilot to organize those notes in a blog post format which I then copy-edited and added links and photos to in order to create the finished post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Impact of Radio on the History of Communication

Radio changed history forever and showed us the power of the mass message. When most people think about the invention of radio, they usually...